Effective Date: 12/30/92
Title: Section 16.16 - Procedures for picking up, receiving and opening packages
16.16. Procedures for picking up, receiving, and opening packages. (a) Each licensee who expects to receive a package containing quantities of radioactive material in excess of the Type A(2) quantities specified in Appendix 16-B, Table I of this Part, shall make arrangements:
(1) to receive the package when the carrier offers it for delivery; or
(2) to receive notification of the arrival of the package at the carrier's terminal and to pick up the package expeditiously.
(b) Each licensee, upon receipt of a package containing radioactive material in quantities described in subdivision (a) of this section, or any package that shows evidence of damage or leaking shall monitor the external surfaces of the package for radioactive contamination; and shall survey all packages for radiation levels and shall make other surveys as may be required by section 16.10 of this Part. The licensee shall perform the monitoring as soon as practical after receipt of the package, but not later than 3 hours after the package is received during the licensee's normal working hours, or not later than 3 hours from the beginning of the next working day if it is received after working hours.
(c) The licensee shall immediately notify the final delivery carrier and the department if packages, other than those transported by exclusive use vehicle, are found to have any of the conditions in paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subdivision. Notification to the department shall be made by telephone as well as by telegram, mailgram or facsimile.
(1) Removable radioactive contamination in excess of 0.01 microcuries (22,000 dpm) (0.37 KBq) per 100 square centimeters on the external surfaces of the package; or
(2) Radiation levels at 1 meter from the external surface of the package in excess of 0.01 rem (10 mrem) (0.1mSV) per hour.
(d) Each licensee shall:
(1) Establish and maintain written procedures for the safe opening of packages in which radioactive material is received that include consideration given to special instructions for the type of package being opened; and
(2) Ensure that the procedures are followed.